About American Ordnance
At American Ordnance, we know the stakes and We do what we say! ® We’re the team working behind the scenes to make sure our nation’s front lines have safe, high-quality ammunition. As a trusted premier manufacturer of ammunition to the U.S. Military, some of our capabilities range from production of direct and indirect fire, warheads, to special projects and beyond. With more than 70 years of experience and Day & Zimmermann behind us, it’s no surprise that our teams consistently exceed expectations! Come join in on our purpose – We put people to work, we protect American freedoms, and we help our customers power and improve the world!
We’re looking for a full-time, staff Chief- Fire
for future opportunity with American Ordnance located in Kingsport, TN. Our ability to offer this job is contingent on a contract award.
As the Chief- Fire here’s the work you’ll do:
- Assumes personal command of all fire fighting activities during emergencies. During a conflagration or other similar emergency, will have the power to temporarily suspend the operation. Participates in the investigation of all plant fires to discover root cause, and other pertinent facts. Prepares necessary reports concerning fire of consequence or suspicious origin and works with other departments to make recommendations to prevent recurrence.
- Supervises preparation of required reports, analyses, budgets and estimates; ensures that appropriate supporting records are maintained.
- Coordinates and assures cooperation and compliance of activities with other departments of the plant, government staff, and outside agencies. Activities include, but not limited to, reviewing scope of work, the layout of fire suppression systems in new builds or modifications, anti-terrorisms force protection, and local emergency planning commission.
- Manages supervisory staff performance and development. Makes final approvals of hiring and disciplinary actions for the department and ensures all training is completed on time and according to standards.
This role is for you if you have these skills:
- Language Skills and Strategic Thinking - Ability to read an interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Demonstrate skills to write routine reports and correspondence and have the ability to communicate with internal and external customers professionally and effectively
- Math Skills - Demonstrate and maintain ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals
- Judgement - Demonstrate ability to handle multiple duties simultaneously as in Incident Command (IC) or Unified Command (UC) based on the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- Communication and Organizational Skills - Demonstrate knowledge and ability in Word, Outlook, Firehouse, and other applicable software programs.
- Functional Tactics and Operational Support - Interpret Army Regulations (ARs), National Fire Projection Associations (NFPA), Fire Codes, and Unified Fire Criteria (UFC).
And if you have these qualifications:
- Associate's degree required, Bachelor's degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 years as a Firefighter, 2 years as a Fire Officer, 2 years in the Emergency Medical Services, 2 years in Hazardous Material Operations, and 2 years in Rescue Services.
- International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC), National Professional Qualifications Board (NPQB) or Department of Defense (DOD) classifications of: Fire Fighter I, Fire Fighter II, Driver Operator-Pumper, Fire Inspector I, Fire Instructor I, Fire Officer I, Fire Officer II, Minimum of EMT-B. If not already a Hazmat Technician, have one year to certify (our in-house program). Hazardous Material Incident Commander, NIMS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700 & 800.
- Minimum of a Valid Class D Chauffeur driver's license
- Ability to achieve required secret clearance as deemed necessary by the installation
- Great attitude and team player.
- Successful completion of background screening process
We care about our employees and it shows. Our staff receive a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical/Rx, dental and vision coverage; life, AD&D and disability insurance; flexible spending accounts; 100% paid maternity leave for up to 12 weeks, parental leave, family leave, other paid time off; voluntary benefits and discount programs to meet our employees’ individual needs including pet insurance for our furry family members!
To ensure a safe work environment while meeting the physical demands of the job, you must be able to perform the following physical and mental tasks, with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Visual acuity (e.g., needed to prepare and analyze data, to transcribe documents, to view a computer, to read, to inspect objects, to operate machinery.
- Balancing (e.g. maintaining equilibrium when walking, climbing, crouching, etc.)
- Stooping (e.g. bending the spine at the waist)
- Reaching (e.g. reaching the arms or legs in any direction)
- Lifting motion or lifting objects more than 15 pounds
- Repetitive motion of any part of the body
- Kneeling, crouching or crawling
- Pushing or pulling (e.g. using a part of your body to press against something in a downward or outward direction or in a dragging or hauling motion)
- Manual Dexterity (e.g. picking, pinching, typing, or other working that uses fingers)
- Grasping (e.g. use of hand to apply pressure)
- Feeling (e.g. perceiving an object’s size, shape, texture, etc.)
- Climbing (e.g. ascending/descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, pole, etc. using feet and legs and hands/arms to climb)
- Capacity to think, concentrate and focus for long periods of time.
- Ability to read complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to reason and make sound decisions.
- Ability to write complex documents in the English language.
- Capacity to express thoughts orally.
- Expertise in:
- Ability to wear a mask, respirator, bullet proof vest, or other equipment.
- Ability to regularly perform all job functions at Company’s office or worksite.
- Ability to withstand environmental conditions (e.g. extreme heat or cold, grass, wind, sand, fumes, odors, gases, extreme noise, etc.)
SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? APPLY NOW! Talent Acquisition Partner: Nicole Yankey
Diversity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity
American Ordnance, A Day & Zimmermann Company is committed to maintaining an inclusive workforce, where employees are hired, retained, compensated and promoted based on their contributions to our Company. Our collective strength is rooted in over a century of diverse employees and businesses, commitment to success, and delivery on promises made. Federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity laws prohibit employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status and disability status. American Ordnance is committed to providing an equal opportunity work environment in full compliance with these laws. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation in the application process, please email
, and please specify which position you are interested in, including job title and location.
Location/Region: Kingsport, Tennessee